Thursday, February 25, 2010

Module V

Module V Part I - How are climate, cultures, and oceans all connected?

Everything on earth has limitations but some species or microbes can also adapt. Fish in the ocean survive only in certain temperatures, so do plant life and humans. When one part is affected, the whole cycle gets affected.
An ancient parasitic micron has survived by adapting to changes in environment. The water temperature of the Yukon River has warmed over the last 30 years, causing the Ichthyophous; a white spot desease or Ich to infect Alaskan salmon.
According to marine biologist Kevin D. Lafferty who studies parasites for the U.S. Geological survey; “Climate change isn’t going to increase infectious diseases but change the disease landscape.”
The density differences in the ocean are most likely being affected by the warming of the ocean. Microbes that used to be at the bottom of the ocean are moving up due to the changes in temperature. I agree with Lafferty’s opinion; “Some of these surprises are not going to be pretty.”

For fifth graders, I’m going to teach the concept of air versus water heat capacity using the video on You Tube. Using visualization should help to cement that knowledge into their minds. I tried the experiment at home first before I showed it to my students.

Part II- Reason For the Season

Earth’s seasons are caused by the Earth’s tilt on it’s axis of 23.45. The tilt of Earth’s axis causes the hemispheres to receive different amount of the Sun’s energy as it revolves around the Earth. The tilt creates unequal heating on both hemispheres and therefore opposite seasons.
The Sun shines indirectly on the northern hemisphere at a glancing angle sending out less thermal energy. Even though the Sun is sending out less thermal energy to the Northern Hemisphere, the white polar regions are receding. This recession causes less mass for the Sun to reflect off of to reflect the energy back into the atmosphere. And as the science activity showed with the use of the balloon; the atmosphere has less capacity to retain heat than water.

2 comments:

  1. Great background info from USGS source. Adds authority to your words. And kudos for testing demos before trying things in class. Ask me how I know...; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete